From: Simon Francis (thejello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-12 18:24:40

 I maintain a large body of legacy code that was written back when vectors
were fast. Modifying this old code scares me but the approximately three
times slowdown that we have seen is unacceptable. This application is
noticeably slower on a brand new computer than it was a few years ago.
Switching this code to pointers is something I really want to avoid but this
seems like an all or nothing sort of thing and we rely on third party
libraries beyond our control. This is a really ugly situation we have been
forced into.