From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-14 11:46:57

Anup Mandvariya wrote:
> Thanks John,
> My second query was,
> If is it possible to generalize these libraries so that they can
> be parallelize both for shared-memory as well as
> distributed-distributed memory?

OK, understood: many of the opportunities for parrellelising that I know
about are task-oriented, and so would work rather well on a distributed
memory system from a theoretical point of view. However, my gut feeling
(with no data to back it up!) is that the overhead from say an MPI
implementation would be prohibitively high for this to be at all useful.

There are also some opportunities for vectorisation: for example by
evaluating polynomials via a second-order Horner scheme and using SSE (or
similar) instructions.

And finally... there's whatever else the SOC student may spot while
examamining the source code! :-)

HTH, John.