From: shiwei xu (xushiweizh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-24 23:08:47

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Mathias Gaunard <
mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> shiwei xu wrote:
>
> > http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/gc-allocator.aspx
>
> I only went through your article now.
>
> First, this is not Garbage Collection at all. As a matter of fact, it
> does not collect garbage at any time.

Yes, it's not.

Second, this is no innovation. This is a single-threaded stack allocator
> with private instances. Basically the fastest thing ever, indeed.

I know that region allocators are no innovation. But:

This (ScopeAlloc) is not a normal region allocator. All ScopeAlloc instances
in the same thread share their freelist. This makes you can define a lot of
ScopeAlloc instances (depends your needs). You even can define a ScopeAlloc
instance for each allocation.

Most allocators optimize allocating a lot of objects. If ONE allocator
instance only allocates ONE object instance, they become slower than a
normal new/delete allocation.

> Stack allocation is simply the simplest algorithm and is extremely fast,
> yet
> - you waste lots of memory

Since you can define a lot of ScopeAlloc instances as you need, So It
doesn't waste too much memory as normal region allocators.

ScopeAlloc is useful. And I don't think it is all of C++ memory management.

If you implement algorithms that are related to t (that is, how many time of
the algorithm spent is unsure.), ScopeAlloc doesn't fit you directly.

> - you can't really give the memory back to the OS

No. You can change limit of freelist size for each thread.

> - you can only free in the reverse order you allocated in. For example,
> shared ownership is out of the question.

I don't think shared ownership is a requirement. It is only a memory
management technique. Why don't Java programmers care such a question?

> Also, you claimed this
>
> {
> std::auto_ptr<MyObj> obj(new MyObj);
> std::auto_ptr<AnotherObj> obj2(new AnotherObj);
> ... // use obj and obj2 to do something.
> }
>
> was somewhat equivalent to this,
>
> MyObj* obj = new MyObj;
> AnotherObj* obj2 = new AnotherObj;
> try
> {
> ... // use obj and obj2 to do something.
> }
> catch (...)
> {
> delete obj;
> delete obj2;
> throw;
> }
> delete obj;
> delete obj2;
>
> Which is incorrect.
>
> A possible equivalence would be:
>
> {
> MyObj* obj = new MyObj;
> try
> {
> AnotherObj* obj2 = new AnotherObj;
> }
> catch(...}
> {
> delete obj;
> throw;
> }
>
> try
> {
> ... // use obj and obj2 to do something.
> }
> catch(...)
> {
> delete obj2;
> delete obj;
> throw;
> }
> delete obj2;
> delete obj;
> }
>
> This certainly demonstrates that scope-bound resource management (aka
> RAII) certainly reduces the annoyance in writing exception-safe code.

Thanks for pointing out my mistakes. I revised my article now.