From: John Femiani (JOHN.FEMIANI_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-25 14:53:39

Christian wrote:

> > Also, there are references to deail::read_and_no_convert used in
> > read_image.hpp. I can not find a declaration for
> read_and_no_convert,
> > did you forget to add a file to svn?
>
> read_and _no_convert is defined in conversion_policies.hpp.

Found it, fixed it, it compiles now. There were some missing 'typename'
issues that had to be fixed, and I added newlines to the end of several
files. The new patch is attached.

Of course I was too lazy to test it on linux, and I _only_ tested jpeg,
but mingw is a step in the right direction :)

> > Is it possible to have read_image deduce the file format from the
> > file / filename itself? That feature would make a gil io
> lib. perfect for me.
>
> I was thinking of adding that, as well. But it would
> introduce the dependency to boost::filesystem. Not sure if
> that's advisable since the io lib wouldn't be header only anymore.

What, for finding the extension? You should not need filesystem for
that.

Personaly I think there should be a separate header, and/or a macro, so
that overlaods supporting path can be used.
It would be an 'optional' dependancy.

Anyhow, the library is already not header-only, it requires libpng,
jpeg6b, zlib, and libtiff. None of these seem work perfectly on windows
/ msvc without a little bit of tweaking (#defines conflict, etc).

Can you provide some exampes, perhaps add an 'examples' folder and/or a
'tests' folder with some code that shows how the library can be used.

-- John