From: Michael Dickey (mike_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-28 18:55:17

Hi Tim,

This is a lifesaver for me! I wanted to add some lock-free code to a
project I'm working on to speed up some critical pieces.
Unfortunately, this is all new to me, and I've found it very hard to
get something working reliably due to the lack of good, open and
portable primitives. Now, I'm throwing out my code and using yours
instead! =)

One class I put together that others might be interested in is a
simple allocator that uses multiple boost::pool<> objects for memory
blocks of various sizes, and combines these with caching free lists
that makes it lock-free when there is enough memory already
available. Not sure how this compares to the lock-free allocation
algorithms out there, but it seemed like a simple approach that works
perfectly for what I need it for..

http://websvn.atomiclabs.com/filedetails.php?repname=pion-common&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fcommon%2Finclude%2Fpion%2FPionPoolAllocator.hpp

(you should be able to easily strip out the "Pion" stuff without any
adverse affect)

Glad to see lots of support for this library here!

Take care,
-Mike