From: Daniel Frey (d.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-29 13:26:58

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 20:03 +0300, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Not really. I just think that you're currently contributing in the wrong
> area. We need to flesh out the specifications of the changes we are
> proposing. And with regards to the implementation, you could for example
> contrubute boost/make_shared.hpp (including documentation and tests), which
> is already accepted and (I hope) stable and really needs to be in 1.36.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea if I start something completely new
at this point. I also have another idea I'm working on (Boost.Operators
v2) and my time is not unlimited.

> > I think that if we adopt the approach of turning enable_shared_from_this
> > into a non-template class and make shared_from_this a free function,
> > there would no longer be any need for a virtual dtor.
>
> Yes, that's true. I view this as a separate proposal though since tying two
> more or less independent changes together increases the likelihood of both
> being rejected.

OK, to help with the current enable_shared_from_this, may I suggest that
I add some of the implementation variants to the sandbox
<https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/libs/smart_ptr> just for
further reference and try to turn the current implementation into a more
reference-like version like the one from my previous post?

Regards, Daniel