From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-01 17:26:22

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> David Abrahams:
> > on Tue Apr 29 2008, "Daniel Walker" <daniel.j.walker-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
> >> template <class F>
> >> typename result_of<F const&()>::type
> >> call(F const& f)
> >> {
> >> return f();
> >> }
> >
> > Fine, then take the case where call takes f by value; then F can be a
> > function type and result_of<F()> is illegal.
>
> If you call
>
> template <class F>
> typename result_of<F()>::type
> call( F f )
> {
> return f();
> }
>
> with a function, F will be deduced as a function pointer.

Yes, and I think this is where the problem arises. In this scenario,
call(f) looks like a call-by-value, but f is second-class and cannot
be treated as a value. The compiler "helps" out by deducing a call by
reference, actually a pointer (this comes from C, right?). So, call()
requires some metaprogramming type analyses to determine whether it
was passed a reference to a builtin, a reference to first-class
functor, or a first-class functor value. The compiler determines which
of these three occurred using function argument deduction, but
result_of doesn't have access to that... well it kind of does with
decltype. Regardless, call() still doesn't know what it was passed,
and this could cause more trouble down the road. It seems to me it
would help matters to add some constraints to the type of call()'s
argument such as CopyConstructable, EqualityComparable; i.e. make it a
first-class function.

Daniel