From: hervebronnimann_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-05-05 13:48:30

I have one qualm about next / prior / rep or discrete distance names: they do not indicate at all that the operation is tied to *floating-point* representation! Imho, a major omission. Especially discrete_distance is bad from that point of view. That is why I suggested and still prefer next_float / prior_float / floating_distance names.
Perhaps next_float_distance is even better.

Regarding ulp_distance, I might also work but the name is misleading, I think. It would likely be understood by someone relying on name rather than reading docs to mean: the number of times you have to add ulp to x to obtain y???

Regarding ulp(T), the comment is wrong: that is not the ulp_distance between x and next(x), that would be one. Or else I misunderstood ulp_distance. Back to square one...

Just a few personal thoughts, please feel free to disregard.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile