From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-23 12:19:03

Rene Rivera:
> I thought that was clear from previous messages, but I'll mention what
> my understanding is... "branches/release" is for 1.36.0 *only*. There
> needs to be another branch for 1.35.1 (perhaps
> "branches/release_1_35_1") which I would guess the manager for the
> 1.35.1 release would take care of by branching from
> "tags/release/Boost_1_35_0".

Which would lose all fixes currently on the branch.

> As for the starting point for 1.36, it's
> always been the rolling "branches/release" i.e. 1.35.x, which is now the
> 1.36.x branch :-) It also means that patches that go into the 1.35.1
> branch would also likely need to go into the 1.36.x branch.

Yep. This is how things were intended to work. The question is whether we
need to reevaluate that. The single branches/release presupposes that only
one release is active at a time. Given the proposed schedule, this can only
be true if we drop the .1 releases. If we don't, it might be wise to revisit
the old practice of using a separate branch for every release family -
release_1_35, release_1_36, and so on. It might also be interesting to give
the "starting point" question another look. I think that the trunk is quite
competitive as a starting point for 1.36, because it is currently being
integration tested, whereas release+merges is not.