From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-17 16:44:54

Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> I'm writing some piece of software working that does a lot of data
> structures traversal and that really needed filtering of traversal etc.
>
> I thought I'd get that from Boost.Range, but I was surprised to see
> Boost.Range provides very little: all the good stuff (the range-based
> algorithms and adaptors) are in another library, range_ex, which isn't
> in the main distribution yet.
>
> Will this library be included in Boost soon? It's really great.
>
> As for the open issues, here are my opinions:
> - Output ranges: don't adaptors already output ranges?
> - Two input ranges, or a range and an iterator?: two ranges can do more
> - For any algorithm foo(container, args...), if foo(args...) is valid
> then it should be called
> - Null-termination of C-style strings: Isn't that up to Boost.Range to
> decide whether it's a range or not?

It sounds like you're referring to my old range_ex library in the
Algorithms directory in the Boost File Vault, is that right?

Somewhat confusingly, there is a *different* range_ex.zip in the Boost
File Vault, but at the top-level, here:

http://www.boostpro.com/vault/

That one appears to be an extension of my earlier work (which itself was
an extension of the work of several others ... range algorithms and
adaptors have been a long time in coming).

The good news is that this new range_ex library is currently in the
review queue. From the review schedule
(http://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html), it looks like
we're still looking for a review manager. Care to volunteer? At the very
least, you should have a look at this new version and let us know if it
meets your needs.

Thanks,

--
Eric Niebler