From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-22 14:13:27

Hi,

While developing of Interprocess, I started to think about optimizations
for STL-like allocators. I even wrote a proposal about some new features
for standard containers (N2045,
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n2045.html) that
was not received with much interest by the committee.

I refined those improvements for shared memory containers and I measured
performance benefits when containers take advantage of more advanced
allocators.

The last few months, I've taken another step forward and I've developed
a small Boost library based on a modified DLmalloc code. I've developed
some allocators above the modified DLmalloc and I've measured the
performance benefits that can be obtained with optimized allocators that
offer some new features like buffer expansion, burst allocation, etc...
Test were performed using Interprocess containers, but instead of shared
memory allocators, I've compared DLmalloc based heap allocators against
the standard std::allocator<>.

I've written a long article with my explanations and conclusions:

http://www.drivehq.com/web/igaztanaga/allocplus/

The library (includes the article) can be downloaded here:

http://www.drivehq.com/web/igaztanaga/allocplus.zip

The library has no docs (the article explains all the basics) and does
not surely meet Boost standards. The only goal of this article, the
library and this post is to share information with other Boost container
authors and discuss possible improvements that maybe could be applied to
Boost containers. If those improvements are considered interesting, it
would be great if we could write a library with allocators and develop
some "existing practice" with boost containers before writing a future
proposal to improve allocators.

I plan to publish the article somewhere (supposing someone is crazy
enough to publish it ;-) ) but first I wanted to share this with
boosters to try to improve the article/library and know if developers
are interested in allocator issues. Comments are welcome!

Regards,

Ion