From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-28 06:45:59

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [boost] [trunk/math] Building fails.

> Rene Rivera wrote:
>>> The problem is that the Jamfile for the math lib is doing a compile
>>> test. That seems like a bad idea to me if there's no purpose other
>>> than
>>> to just do the test.
>>>
>>> So, is there a good reason for doing that test during build?
>
> One of the three libraries built in that Jamfile won't build on Darwin
> (because of no long double support for that platform in Boost.Math), the
> test is there to suppress building of that library in that case - without
> it you'll get thousands of pages of meaningless compiler errors which
> won't be much use to the user :-(

The same applies to cygwin gcc 3.4.6 and many others

gcc.compile.c++
bin.v2\libs\math\build\has_long_double_support.test\gcc-3.4.4\debug\target-os-cygwin\threadapi-pthread\threading-multi\has_long_double_support.o
libs\math\build\has_long_double_support.cpp:5:2: #error "long double support
not enabled"

Maybe the error message could be more explicit. The message let think that
we can enable long double, but if I have understood this is just not
available on some compilers/platforms.

Best

Vicente