From: Niels Dekker - mail address until 2008-12-31 (nd_mail_address_valid_until_2008-12-31_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-29 10:57:27

Thanks for all your feedback, David, Frank, Steven, Howard, and Matt.
I think it's safe to conclude that we agree by now that it's acceptable
for boost::array to have a custom swap function, and that it would be
acceptable for boost::swap to support built-in arrays.

So I'll create a ticket, requesting built-in array support for
boost::swap, referring to our discussion, and including a patch. It may
be slightly unusual to create a ticket for an item that's still in the
sandbox, but I guess it's the best I can do right now.

I'll create two more tickets, for boost::array and
boost::value_initialized: boost::array<T,N>::swap doesn't always use the
custom swap of T, if there is one. And value_initialized<T> should have
a custom swap overload as well. Both of these two issues can be solved
very elegantly when boost::swap is patched, and moved from the sandbox
to the trunk.

>> Within generic code, people typically use the well-known
>> idiom to swap a pair of Swappable objects:
>>
>> // Allow argument-dependent lookup to find a custom swap.
>> using std::swap;
>> swap(lhs, rhs);
>>
>> As long as boost::swap hasn't come out of the sandbox, of course
>> (hint)!
>
> ??

Once boost::swap is out, the "using std::swap" idiom doesn't need to be
used anymore. My "hint" was just an attempt to draw the attention of
anyone involved, hoping to get boost::swap out of the sandbox... It
very much looks like it's ready for review, having documentation and
tests included: http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/swap/ But I
guess it very much depends on when Joseph Gauterin, the first author,
has found the time...

Kind regards,

Niels