From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-29 16:28:42

Here's an idea on how we can manage our source-control for releases:

1. When we're ready to start a new release, make a branch from the
trunk with a name like release_1_??_x (e.g. "release_1_37_x")
2. Finalize what needs to be done to make that branch ship-worthy
3. Make a tag from that branch with a name like release_1_??_0 (e.g.
"release_1_37_0")
4. Export that tag to a fresh directory and create the appropriate
archive file to upload to SourceForge, etc. (The directory shouldn't
have any source-control debris in it. Maybe this needs to be done
once on each platform to ensure the best archive format and the
proper line-ending markers.)
5. If bug-fixes for that release need to be done, continue to use
the release_1_??_x branch (and merge the fixes back to the trunk, or
vice versa)
6. Make a new tag named like release_1_??_1 and ship it as in [4]
for any bug-fix releases (increase the number for subsequent bug-
fixes published)
7. New stuff and substantial changes go on the trunk; publish those
by going back to [1] with a release_1_(??+1)_x branch

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie