From: Sean Parent (sparent_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-30 15:51:39

Dave sent me the following off list:

---- Hi Sean,

I'm starting to notice more and more bits of ASL that we want to use
in Boost, and it would be unfortunate if there was a cyclic dependency
between these two libraries. Somehow I think this is related to the
thread beginning here:
http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c486394D0.3040500%
40boostpro.com%3e although I admit to not having a very clear view of
the relationship. If you have any thoughts it would be great if you'd
post them.

---
I'm pleased that there are bits of ASL (Adobe Source Libraries) that
folks would find useful in Boost - Currently we're struggling to get
more documentation written and papers published, support from the
Boost community could be one way to move ASL forward. From the outset
of ASL I've known there would be overlap with Boost - but ASL has a
research agenda and pushing adoption and standardization is not part
of that agenda. However, we are 100% open to anyone who wants to take
portions of ASL and incorporate them into Boost - we're also willing
to provide guidance and feedback and assist with documentation and
test cases to the level we would have to do so otherwise to complete
the library for ASL. Someone in the boost community will have to "take
point" on shepherding the library into boost though as I know from
experience that exposure in Boost leads to far more feedback than my
team can afford to process.
To avoid circular dependencies I would suggest we simply move any item
in ASL that Boost plans to adopt into the Boost namespace and
directory structure - we already manage that fairly well for the GIL
libraries.
I don't usually monitor the boost lists so reply directly if you want
me to see the response.
Sean Parent