From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-30 17:59:36

John Maddock wrote:

> Would it be possible for the inspection report to print out the line
> containing the non-ASCII characters? There are a few files that are
> being flagged up, where I just can't find anything wrong with them :-(

Hum... Take a look at trunk\tools\inspect\ascii_check.cpp

It seems misnamed; it is apparently really checking for characters the
c++ standard says are OK in source programs, regardless of encoding.

Also, I notice the code:

          if ( c >= 'a' && c <= 'z' ) return false;
          if ( c >= 'A' && c <= 'Z' ) return false;

That isn't right for EBCDIC. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBCDIC.
Although that is being pedantic - there is little chance the code will
ever run on an non-ASCII system.

But before changing anything, we really need to figure out what our
Boost standard is. How about anything 0x20-0x7E plus 0x09, 0x0A, 0x0D?

(0x09 is a tab, but we already have a more specific check for that.)

--Beman