From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-01 08:30:39

Dean Michael Berris wrote:

>> * Incompatible placeholders
>> * Been waiting for the lambda/phoenix merger forever
>> * Lambda has lots of limitations and gotchas that we can improve on now
>> * Phoenix 2.0 not in Boost
>>

> Is Phoenix 2.0 not in the review queue yet?

CC'ing both Jaakko and Eric.

One of the obstacles towards merger is that Lambda has some
quirks of its own that makes it difficult to provide full backwards
compatibility. Eric ported Phoenix 2.0 to proto, making it Phoenix
3.0. In the course of the development, Eric and I seem to both
coming to the conclusion that the best route is to leave the
Lambda codebase alone and make Phoenix 3.0 the new lambda
(i.e. lambda 2.0). And, similar to what we did with Spirit2,
we can have an interim release that bundles both the old lambda
and the new. With this approach, code that uses Lambda should
should not do anything special. Users who want to take advantage
of the features of Lambda-2 (aka Phoenix) can upgrade with some
minimal code tweaks. If this is an acceptable solution to all
parties involved (Jaakko?), then we can do this as early as 1.37
(alas, it's too late for 1.36).

Your comments very welcome!

BTW, Phoenix 2.0 will be in 1.36 as a sub-library of Spirit2.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com