From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-01 08:52:31

Richard Smith wrote:
> Could we change the summary documentation to read something
> like:
>
> | Read data into a streambuf at least until a delimiter is
> | encountered. The implementation may read beyond the
> | delimiter, but will not block when doing so.

That's a bit on the long side for a brief description, but I've made
some tweaks along those lines. Hopefully they will make the behaviour
clearer.

> While I'm on the subject of ASIO documentation, I can't see
> any documentation on whether the service_name parameters to
> the basic_resolver_query constructors are allowed to be port
> numbers (e.g. "80") or whether they have to be symbolic
> names (e.g. "http"). Port numbers work, at least on Linux,
> but it's not clear whether this is something that I should
> be relying on. Similarly for IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in the
> host_name parameter.

The behaviour is intended to be as-if getaddrinfo was used, and that
function supports numbers as strings. So yes, you can rely on this
behaviour.

Cheers,
Chris