From: Niels Dekker - mail address until 2008-12-31 (nd_mail_address_valid_until_2008-12-31_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-01 18:41:24

Joseph Gauterin wrote:
> Niels,
> I've taken a look at your patch, and it looks good.

Thanks :-)

> There's an exception safety issue that I think is worth mentioning in
> the documentation: If the underlying swap function used is no-throw
> then boost::swap is no-throw, but if the underlying swap function
> provides the strong guarantee, then boost::swap only provides the
> basic guarantee for arrays of size > 1.

Good point! I'll add your note:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/attachment/ticket/2056/array_support_for_sandbox_swap_html.patch

> As for putting it on the trunk - it completely slipped my mind. I'm
> happy for boost::swap to move to the trunk - what kind of review
> process does it need to go through? Given that the new version is only
> 51 lines, a full review seems like overkill.

David already tried to move it to the trunk, as you may have read at
<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2056>: "I tried to move the
sandbox and apply these patches, but the sandbox is at least missing
something to link the documentation into the rest of the Boost docs, a
Jamfile for testing, and an editorial pass over the docs (at least one
glaringly incomplete sentence)."

I guess Dave has overlooked
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/swap/libs/utility/swap/test/Jamfile.v2
(Right?) Certainly I did, because I haven't yet put my "swap_array.cpp"
test in there.

An editorial pass wouldn't harm: I spotted a few typo's at
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/swap/libs/utility/swap.html
("constuction", "guarentee"). I still think it would be nice to add a
literature reference to the doc. I would suggest adding a reference to
Scott Meyers, Effective C++ Third Edition, Item 25: "Consider support
for a non-throwing swap".

Do you know how to link the documentation into the rest of the Boost
docs?

Kind regards, Niels