From: James Talbut (James.Talbut_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-04 02:52:42

I just want to point out some issues with allowing upper case letters.
These aren't showstoppers, just potential points of pain.

1. Samba can be configured to convert everything to lower case.
   Of course, you can blame samba (or the sysadmin) for this, but it's
an issue you never hit with all lower case.
2. Visual Studio has a different understanding of the case of a file
from the filesystem.
   So again, Visual Studio can change the case.
3. Mercurial can get seriously confused if the case of a file changes.
4. gcc processes header files in a case sensitive way (presumably
because the filesystem does).
   Already I have difficulty remembering whether it's <boost/thread.hpp>
or <boost/threads.hpp>.
   Please don't make this worse by adding two more options (and I dread
to think how many options it would add to a multi-word header file
name).
   Plus, of course, having files change case will break existing
includes.

I would go along with Beman's statement ("By convention, file and
directory names are all lower case unless there is a compelling reason
to use a different convention for a specific name.") but I think it
should be enforced by using an exclusion list (with Jamfile as the only
entry in it).

Jim