From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-16 17:03:38

Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As eplained in
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/dynamic_typing.aspx
>
> boost::any is not exactly optimal w.r.t. efficiency. Diggins
> implementation avoid allocation for objects smaller or equal to
> sizeof(void*). Personally I think this is too small a buffer;
> Boost.Function uses at least two words; I think it might be worth to go
> for 3 words.
>
> Would anyone be interested in implementing this?

I've been interested in creating a policy-based framework to handle
stack-only allocation, SBO, allocators and the never-empty guarantee for
a while, but I haven't found the time to do so yet.

All single object containers could use that, so it's best to factorize
in my opinion.

Of course, any can be empty, so stack allocation is not such a problem.