From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-06 21:00:39

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 8:43 AM, Christopher Kohlhoff
<chris_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Andreas Pokorny wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to add more asynchronous event sources to asio, like:
>> - input events for mouse, keyboard and joystick ..
>> - window exposure, move, resize events in some generic form,
>> - generic "quit" events

[snip]

> Asio is not really intended for those use cases as, in general, user
> interface events follow quite a different model to things like files and
> sockets.

I'm writing a GUI library, and I wanted to use the asio concepts in it.
For example, I find it very compelling that every window has a
member-function that returns a io_service::strand to which one
can post messages to the window thread.
This would work well with all mainstream toolkits and the win32 API.
But how would this work with asio implementation?
Can a service be appended to a io_service, and have its own
demultiplexer function control the thread running the run member
function?
The selector_service wouldn't work either I think.
Any way this could be accomplished?

[snip]

> Cheers,
> Chris