From: dizzy (dizzy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-07 08:05:03

On Thursday 07 August 2008 14:26:23 Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:
> That's probably not enough.
> Maybe some design thinking on asio part should be done?

It's not (just) about asio design.

> I obviously don't want to impose this, but just think how cool
> it would be that a single-threaded (at least for most platforms)
> GUI client could be created, without blocking the user interface
> with operations that could take quite some time to execute?
> No synchronizations for example.
> It might even be easier to write gui clients with asynchronous
> IO than with synchronous.

Of course it's cool but there are limitations given by the OS and the GUI
framework you use that do not allow that to happen. Do you have on all asio
supported platforms an OS system call that can wait for events either from
sockets or GUI? If so then you can do it (with some modification on asio to
allow extensibility at that level). If not then you can't do it no matter how
you design asio.

--
Mihai RUSU					Email: dizzy_at_[hidden]
			"Linux is obsolete" -- AST