From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-28 06:41:00

2008/8/28 David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>:

> Of course, the best way to avoid that is
> to explain it to the maintainers of all affected libraries beforehand.

Well, that's the problem. It's remarkably hard to get their attention.
I think it's unfair to expect a new developer to seek out the
appropriate developers and pester them individually - and that is what
it would take. IMO the biggest problem that boost has is this kind of
communication, not point releases, version control or breaking
interfaces. I've been on both sides of this problem and it's very
frustrating. Important issues are constantly getting lost in the noise
of the lists and are only picked up when it's too late.