Subject: Re: [boost] Mixed use of "include" directives with quoted vs.angle-bracketed params, causing havoc
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-07 13:42:10

Michael Fawcett wrote:
>> Now, isn't there a slight performance and semantic difference that
>> should lead to using "" and not <>? Doesn't <> mean search compiler
>> dependent search path for file, then search user supplied paths in
>> order supplied, and "" means search user supplied path in order
>> supplied, then fall back to compiler dependent path?

No, while this is all implementation defined, on every compiler I've used <>
will always search paths supplied with -I directives before system paths.
One could argue that "" is less efficient because it *may* search paths
relative to the current file before looking at -I paths. But frankly any
argument on efficiency grounds is likely to be fallacious: all strictly IMO
of course!

John.