Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Dataflow Library
From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-07 15:25:19

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Michael Caisse
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I use a dataflow framework that is driven from XML description files. The
> framework
> utilizes dynamically loaded components as Stjepan has described in an
> earlier post.
> The framework has been deployed in applications ranging from digital
> video/audio
> systems to aviation flight/meteorology equipment in international airports.

Nice! Out of curiosity, (if you can share) what XML syntax did you
use? With one of the dataflow systems I worked on I ended up using
something like this:

<component name="A" type="some_source_type" parameter1="value1"
parameter2="value2" />

<component type="some_sink_type" some_other_parameter="other_value">
  <input name="A"/>
</component>

At some point I hope to provide an example that uses XML configuration
files to initialize a network, but built on top of the Dataflow
Generic Support Layer so that it can be used with any framework with
an implemented support layer (in the same way the GUI example does).
There are some nice possibilities using Boost.Fusion with reading the
parameters from the XML file and providing them type-safely to the
constructor of the component.

> I hope to have an opportunity to review the Dataflow library.

That would be great!

Best,

Stjepan