Subject: [boost] Any interest in a Simple Thread Pool Library?
From: Koushik Biswas (koushik.biswas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-09 13:57:15

Hi, I am a new subscriber to boost mailing list, though I am a long time boost user. Recently, I needed a simple thread pool for my application, but did not find anything on Boost.

I went ahead and developed my own. I believe that with some modifications to make it more generic, it will be a valuable addition to Boost. Following the guidelines specified in "Boost Library Submission Process" page, I am trying to gauge the interest.

Synopsis:

1. Will be header only. User will derive from class "ThreadPoolJob" and override its DoJob() method with any action he wants the thread pool to perform.
2. User will instantiate an object of the Pool (can mention initial size), and simply call SubmitJob() with the pointer of an instance of his derived Thread Pool Job class - and the job will be get done.
3. In my current version, a job submission simply accepts the pointer to a new job class, hence the user has to wait until the job is done and then needs to clean up the memory. In the final library, I will take ownership of the memory while accepting a submitted job by using smart pointers.
4. Features: Dynamic shrinking/ expansion of the pool, ability to assign priorities to jobs, schedule future job execution, etc. are ion the roadmap - though I do not need any of these for my own application, the design is generic enough to add these features.

Can somebody guide me to the next steps if approved? I could not log in to the boost vault with my mailing list user name and password. Do I need to create a new set?

Thanks & Regards,
Koushik Biswas
Principal Technical Yahoo,
Yahoo! Inc.