Subject: Re: [boost] Old style casts and Boost style guidelines
From: John Bytheway (jbytheway+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-14 13:26:13

Jon Biggar wrote:
> It's hard to find the beam in my own code when I need to sift through
> all that hair from the boost headers. :)
>
> Seriously, the problem with warnings in headers is that you see them
> over and over and over and over...all in one compile.

Are you using boost in a place other than the system include
directories? gcc shouldn't give these warnings for system headers, so I
believe you are. Assuming I'm right, you can work around the problem by
specifying the include path as "-isystem /path/to/boost" rather than "-I
/path/to/boost". This is not very 'nice' or portable, but it's probably
  fine for the duration of your warning sifting.

There can still be problems, though, if you use boost macros with old
style casts in your own files. IME, BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT is the worst
offender (according to the docs it's because of compiler deficiencies).
  That was what finally forced my to turn off -Wold-style-cast in some
of my code.

John Bytheway