Subject: Re: [boost] Answers re BENUM library for automated enum streaming
From: Tony D (tony_in_da_uk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-17 11:00:34

Hi all, Should I expect any further feedback re BENUM? David, Marcus: we've discussed specific issues (portability of variadic macros, smart_enum features) - do you have further questions, comments re my replies, or recommended actions before submission for formal review? Should I be doing more to pursue suggestions or solicit feedback? Is anyone else currently reviewing the code in the vault, experiment with usage in a real system, or planning to do so? If so, can we keep in touch re progress? If I don't hear anything to the contrary this week, I'll start doing the preparations for requesting a formal review, specifically my TODO list currently looks like: - better (HTML) docs / simpler usage examples, - clean up comment in headers (doxygen style?)/copyrights, - optimise Info_Container value-to-identifier resolution (have resisted early optimisation as design/functional changes might invalidate), - add a few representative container/feature combinations in easier-to-use macros. BTW / I stumbled across an old submission for "boost_enum" - it seems to "go the whole hog" and address some of the bit-masking issues BENUM does (though not as flexibly ;-P). This contrasts with smart_enum's relative simplicity but cleanliness. I love simplicity (I wrote a cut-down version of BENUM for my introspective preprocessor project which only supports incrementing-from-0 enumerations and no bit masking/ORing because I didn't like the idea of all the extra baggage/inefficiencies), but I think people look to boost for reasonably generic and comprehensive solutions. But, boost_enum work seemed to peter out. smart_enum petered out. Both had much more early interest displayed than BENUM. Should I consider the "enum" space a dead end - "abandon all hope ye who enter here"? Am I wasting everyone's time? My theory is that BENUM has greater potential for widespread end-user acceptance and actual use (despite less portability) because of its
 enum-like notation, and that that makes BENUM worth pursuing. A view I'd welcome comments on. Thanks, Tony