Subject: Re: [boost] [UUID] Still alive?
From: Manuel Fiorelli (manuel.fiorelli_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-19 22:35:44

According to the documentation, UUIDs can be constructed either from a
string or a byte array. In my opinion the term "byte array" could lead to
misinterpretation since, in my understanding, the constructor expects a
sequence of characters representing the HEX digits not a sequence of bytes:
indeed, the sequence has 32 elements (32x4=128) and not 16 (16x8=128).

Also, when you state that every function is thread-safe, do you mean that
several threads can work simultaneously on different instances? I am not
sure if this is thread-safety or reentrancy.

I know that there isn't an universally accepted definition, but at lest
there should be one accepted by all Boost developers.

I saw that in the documentation of an older version of Boost.Thread there
was a glossary <
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_34_0/doc/html/thread.html#thread.glossary>
where there is the definition of thread-safe program, but it seems that the
glossary was removed by the newer documentation <
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/doc/html/thread.html>.

In my opinion there should be, for example in Boost.Thread, a definition of
terms such as thread-safe, reentrant (class, function), so that when an
author uses them can add a link to the corresponding paragraph in order to
avoid misunderstanding.

Best regards,
Manuel Fiorelli