Subject: Re: [boost] [UUID] Still alive?
From: Manuel Fiorelli (manuel.fiorelli_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-22 04:42:55

Hi,
I saw that you don't serialize accesses to member data, so I wouldn't call
your class thread-safe but reentrant, since it can be safely instantiated in
several concurrent threads, which shouldn't however share the same instance.

Maybe I have a wrong idea of what a thread safe class should be....

I use the definitions from Qt: <
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/threads.html#reentrancy-and-thread-safety>

I think that UUID doesn't need synchronization, but it is important that
reading the documentation the user cannot misunderstanding the library
guarantees against multi-threading.

I run on my Linux box (equipped with gcc (GCC) 4.3.0) the tests
"test_uuid.cpp" and "test_sha1.cpp" which pass. I didn't run the
"test_serialization.cpp" since I use a prepackaged version of boost.

Obiuvsly, I run the tests against the source with the modifcations I posted
on this mailing list.

Best regards,
Manuel Fiorelli