Subject: Re: [boost] [threadpool] relation with TR2 proposal
From: Anthony Williams (anthony.ajw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-26 16:17:26

"vicente.botet" <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> writes:

> BTW, Anthony, how packaged_task are related to the class thread_pool
> in n2276. I don't see any connection in the interface.

packaged_task is intended to be a building block for a simple thread
pool. As such it will not be exposed to the user: just the future will
be visible. See the intro to

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2709.html

> Shouldn't submit_task return a packaged_task<T>
> template<typename F>
> packaged_task<typename result_of<F()>::type> submit_task(F const& f);

No. You don't want the task handle, but the future.

> Shouldn't be also the case for the functions launch_in_pool and
> launch_in_thread?

Same here.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams            | Just Software Solutions Ltd
Custom Software Development | http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk