Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Phoenix review starts today, September 21st
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-28 15:07:38

on Sun Sep 28 2008, dan marsden <danmarsden-AT-yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> It is my understanding that Boost authors retain the "rights" to modify and
> upgrade their libraries once accepted, both in terms of implementation
> and interface changes. Boost.Xpressive has seen many changes iirc,
> including the sorts of changes that we're discussing (reimplementing
> in terms of proto + I believe some smaller interface changes). Many
> other libraries have similar history. If the authors of these libraries
> had stated their development plans, in advance of review, should they
> have been rejected until they were "finished"? Joel has been very open
> in stating his future plans, but what he plans has happened many times
> before to accepted libraries.

I think one difference here may be that Joel already knows he has
interface-breaking changes planned (if that's not actually the case, I
apologize). Several libraries have had interface-breaking changes after
acceptance, but AFAIK these were not anticipated at the time of the
review.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing