Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Phoenix review starts today, September 21st
From: Mika Heiskanen (mika.heiskanen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-29 08:16:28

David Abrahams wrote:

> In case *I* wasn't sufficiently clear about it, let me try to be
> painfully explicit: we may want to discuss whether it's good for Boost
> or its users if we release a new top-level library and then break its
> interface in the next release, three months later. I'm all for
> accepting some version of Phoenix, but I want to make sure that users'
> needs for -- and the public perception of -- Boost's stability are
> accounted for.

Also please note that most major Linux distributions are still back at 1.33 or 1.34. Even if the
next boost release would be only 3 months away, it may take a long while until the new release makes
it into any major Linux distribution. It would be quite unfortunate if some distro happened to
upgrade boost between the two Phoenix releases.

There was an attempt to upgrade to 1.36 in the forthcoming Fedora 10, but API incompatibilities
caused the idea to be dropped, the schedule was too tight for resolving all the problems. More
details can be found for example here:

http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/141634-major-boost-breakage.html

--> Mika Heiskanen / FMI