Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Phoenix review starts today, September 21st
From: Corrado Zoccolo (czoccolo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-02 07:08:57

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Jeff Flinn <TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> I'm thinking the construct and new_ lazy functions will be particularly
> useful. Many of our classes end up in containers and or as output from
> transformed ranges, and end up with many bound static make functions
> replicating the constructor arguments. Phoenix "construct" makes all those
> "make"'s redundant. :)

I think, too, that those lazy functions would be very useful, and I look
forward some way to express also placement new.
Ideally, I would like to delay which version of new is called to the call
site, so I would need a new2_ lazy function such that
'new2_<T>( _1 ) (x)' is still a functor with overloaded operator (), that
can be called with 0 arguments (normal new behaviour), and with 1 argument
(placement new), ...

Would it be generally useful to have a variant of "new_" that returns a
> shared_ptr directly? Without it one would need:

Yes, I think this will be very useful.

Corrado

dott. Corrado Zoccolo                          mailto:czoccolo_at_[hidden]
PhD - Department of Computer Science - University of Pisa, Italy