Subject: Re: [boost] Win64 and abi_prefix.hpp/abi_suffix.hpp warnings
From: Juergen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-05 05:20:22

Hi John !

On Wednesday 01 October 2008 13:32:19 John Maddock wrote:
> Juergen Hunold wrote:
> > Could you please add the sentence as comment to prefix.hpp ? This
> > would make things much clearer for the reader ;-))
>
> Done, also committed the fix to trunk.

Thanks a lot !

> > It seems the x64 fix is the right way. Simply disabling the warning
> > is a bad thing. But disabling and reenabling the warning in every
> > place is a tedious job. Please find my try at this attached.
>
> Can you file Trac-tickets for these and assign to the appropriate library
> authors?

I thought a little bit about it and think that disabling the warnings with
#pragmas is the wrong solution.
Tinkering with the alignment with msvc is dangerous and can (well, will ;-)))
lead to mysterious bugs (been there, done that :-(( ) so I think that anyone
who changes the alignment from the default should be made aware that those
libs are using a "fixed" alignment. She can then decide to change the aligment
in abi_prefix.hpp and compile a customized version or disabled the warning on a
per-project base.

And our current complains are just about the "wrong" alignment on x64 which
has been fixed. I think disabling the warnings is simply over-engineering in
this case. And we don't have tests for it...

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57       ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH