Subject: [boost] boost.org Source-Code, Concepts & Idioms.
From: mbiddeg_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-10-13 02:21:19

Good morning Guys.
Do you think it feasible to have a section in boost.org that shows (& permits download) the libraries' source-code at its bare-minimum, without all the configuration to clutter the code?

The only problem with easily & clearly understanding the boost libraries is the abundance of conditional compilation directives, & a multitude of macros for some libraries.

This makes it hard to read & understand. Seeing the bare source-code without the directives & macros (I know it is very necessary for portability, & avoiding boiler-plate code) would make the concepts easier to understand.

In addition, I do agree with Scott Meyers in the section below, from the link:

http://www.artima.com/cppsource/top_cpp_aha_moments.html#r10

"...Second, I think it's regrettable that this kind of innovation doesn't often get written up and disseminated for the wider C++ development community. Boost does an enviable job of fostering the creation of useful software, including user-level documentation that is at least serviceable. I wish it did a better job of getting the word out on the design and implementation techniques employed by the library authors, because there's some really interesting-and largely unknown-stuff going on under the hood in Boost libraries..."

What is your opinion on both these issues?

I do believe the entire C++ community would benefit from both.

Awaiting your feedback.

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Kizza George Mbidde | Interconnect Billing Systems Analyst | MTN Uganda | MTN Towers 22 Hannington Road |
P.O. Box 24624 Kampala Uganda | East-Africa | email: mbiddeg_at_[hidden]
[cid:image001.png_at_01C92D0F.BE2B7C10]

image001.png