Subject: Re: [boost] boost.org Source-Code, Concepts & Idioms.
From: Jonathan Franklin (franklin.jonathan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-14 22:14:09

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 4:49 PM, vicente.botet <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Watanabe" <watanabesj_at_[hidden]
> >

>> Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>>
>>> Can this be made to format macro expansions nicely?
>>>>

>>> What do you mean by that?
>>>

>> Since the point is to make the code more readable,
>> if we do any macro expansion for instance:
>>
>> #define SOME_MACRO(...) \
>> template<class T> \
>> class C { \
>> /*stuff*/ \
>> };
>>
>> SOME_MACRO(x, y, z)
>>
>> We don't want this all to end up on one line.

> I'm not sure to understand what exactly you want, which are the two
> generated sources you are locking for.

I use the -E compiler option (gcc & msvc) fairly frequently to look at what
the pre-processor is generating. This code should be readable (or at least
as readable as possible). A lost of times, macros expand to a huge wad of
code, containing many expressions all on the same line. This isn't easily
readable, so we should make sure that the generated code contains new lines
where appropriate.

I'm pretty sure that this is what Steven is getting at.

Jon