Subject: Re: [boost] Measuring compile time performance
From: dan marsden (danmarsden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-17 16:41:43

Steven Watanabe wrote: >Joel de Guzman wrote: >> time is good enough for benchmarking. OTOH, Steven's perl sript >> is nice because it can (as he says) actually gather info when >> templates are being instantiated. I haven't used it yet, but it >> seems to be just the tool we need for profiling templates. >> Steven, please tell us more about your script. > >The scripts are actually a combination of bjam + perl + C++. > >At the moment, the only thing that it does reliably is to >count the number of times each template is instantiated. > >A month or two ago, I tried to make it produce a gprof-like >call graph by parsing the instantiation backtraces, but it >doesn't really work, and I broke gcc support in the process. >Hmmm, I'll try to fix this over fall break. Thanks Steven, that would be great. We'd certainly be interested in trying what you've got on Fusions compile time performance tests. Thanks to everyone else that provided ideas on this. Dan Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com