Subject: Re: [boost] ATTN: Beman / Eric (was Re: [1.37] status/Jamfile.v2)
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-20 22:03:46

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:37 PM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >> I would like boost::swap to be released because I want to start using
> >> it, but I don't remember it having a review. Isn't it necessary for a
> >> new library to have a formal review? Maybe I just missed it.
> >
> > It's not technically a new library; it's an enhancement to the
> > Boost.Utility library, so it doesn't need a separate review.
>
> On the other hand, as the utility library author that accepted the
> patches, it was probably my responsibility to merge it to release. Too
> late now, I suppose :(

Cross your fingers, but the 1.37.0 beta should go out tomorrow. If that
happens, there will be ten days or so before the release is scheduled to
ship. I'd like to use that time to improve the quality of the release.

As long as it improves quality and is low risk (as shown by being stable in
trunk), I think it would be OK to do the merge once the beta ships. But
please don't commit anything to branches/release until then.

We need to feel our way carefully; I don't want the beta being more or less
on time to be taken as an excuse to flood branches/release with an
unmanageable number of late merges. But there isn't much point of doing a
beta if we aren't willing to make at least some fixes before final release.

Thanks,

--Beman