Subject: Re: [boost] tie alternative?
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-27 17:07:52

on Mon Oct 27 2008, Jonas Persson <l.j.persson-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> David Abrahams skrev:
>> OK, BOOST_FOREACH aside, iterating over a range returned as a pair of
>> iterators can be painful and ugly:
>>
>> vertex_iterator pv, ve;
>> tie(pv, ve) = vertices(g); // unpack the pair returned by vertices
>> for (; pv != pe; ++pv)
>> {
>> }
>>
>> However, we can make it much nicer, e.g.:
>>
>> for (vertex_iterator pv,ve = xxx(pv,vertices(g)); pv != ve; ++pv)
>> {
>> }
>>
>> My only problem is how to spell xxx. The attached proof-of-concept uses
>> operator%, but I don't feel particularly good about that choice either.
>> Ideas?
>>

> What is the usecase here?

Iterating over a range returned as a std::pair. But that should be
obvious from what I wrote, so I guess I don't understand the question.

> I'm curious on why it isn't covered by BOOST_FOREACH

BOOST_FOREACH doesn't give you access to the iterator value, for what
that's worth. Also some people don't like to use macros.

> and if that case really is common enough for a special solution like
> this.

I can't comment on that, I'm afraid.

--
Dave Abrahams