Subject: Re: [boost] new libaray Boost.Fiber in vault
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-02 16:14:27

----- Original Message -----
From: <k-oli_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:01 PM

> Am Sonntag, 2. November 2008 19:51:54 schrieb vicente.botet:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I've added Boost.Fiber to the boost vault.
>> > The library implements lightweight threads of execution (context
>> > swapping; fibers on Windows).
>>
>> What about fiber specific storage?
>
> This is specific for the Win32 fiber API - afaik POSIX does not provide
> fiber
> specific storage.

Do you mean that this has no sens independently of the platform?
IMO if we can implement thread specific storage we can implement fiber
specific storage. It is only a matter to storing whatever is needed on the
fiber context. You can find a platform independent implementation of TTS on
"Thread-Specific Storage -- An Object Behavioral Pattern for Accessing
per-Thread State Efficiently."
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/TSS-pattern.pdf or see the code from a
posix pthread_tss functions implementation.

Vicente