Subject: Re: [boost] [Chrono] Boost.Chrono added to sandbox
From: Franz Alt (f.alt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-12 11:10:27

>Work-in-progress for the Boost.Chrono library has been added to the sandbox.
>See http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/chrono
>
>This work is in a very preliminary state. The only testing has been with
>VC++ 9.0 on XP-64 and a tiny bit on Ubuntu 8.04 Linux. There has been no
>work done yet on C++0x headers. The Jamfiles are there, but haven't been
>tested; I've been developing using the provided VC++ solution.
>
>The implementation of the clocks is going to be very system specific. If
>anyone would like to try .../libs/chrono/example/await_keystroke.cpp and
>report whether or not it compiles and works on their system, it would be
>appreciated. Patches to make .../libs/chrono/src/chrono.cpp work for
>various operating systems would be even more appreciated!
>
>I'm still unsure about even some of the basics, such as how to partition
>the three parts for boost. Are the time utilities, the compile-time
>rational arithmetic, and the type trait common_type three boost
>libraries, one boost library, or three parts of a larger boost library?
>There was some discussion of this in a prior thread, but I thought
>having the actual code available might move the discussion forward.
>
>There is a tiny bit of documentation; see .../libs/chrono/doc/index.html.
>
>Comments welcome!
>
>--Beman

Hi Beman,

I've tried the ../libs/chrono/example/await_keystroke.cpp with VC++ 9.0 (SP1)
on a XP-32 system in release and debug mode. It seems to work very well.

Output at debug mode:
Strike any key: abc
system_clock-----------: 2.359420300 seconds
monotonic_clock--------: 2.360545544 seconds
high_resolution_clock--: 2.361268541 seconds

system_clock latency-----------: 0
monotonic_clock latency--------: 2235
high_resolution_clock latency--: 1956

system_clock::now() reports UTC is Wed Nov 12 16:02:54 2008

Output at release mode:
Strike any key: abc
system_clock-----------: 2.734427500 seconds
monotonic_clock--------: 2.742866761 seconds
high_resolution_clock--: 2.743364311 seconds

system_clock latency-----------: 0
monotonic_clock latency--------: 1676
high_resolution_clock latency--: 1676

system_clock::now() reports UTC is Wed Nov 12 16:04:17 2008

Franz