Subject: Re: [boost] How to design boost package web page?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-23 07:36:29

On
> Behalf Of Daniel James
> Sent: 23 November 2008 11:15
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] How to design boost package web page?
>
> 2008/11/23 Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]>:
> >
> > The absurdly complicated toolchain is a pig to set up - see other
peoples
> > user-config.jam for examples, but the actual document production is
painless
> > using the wiki style formatting. It is also easy for other people to
alter
> > if you hand maintenance over to someone else - or ask someone else for
help
> > with editing.
>
> It's quite easy on linux, although that's not much help if you're
> using windows. I've started writing some instructions at:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostDocs/GettingStarted

This is exactly what many people need in order to get writing in Quickbook
without a shedload of hassle.

But having done (nearly!) this recently I can add quite a few comments from
the long and rocky road.

I also think that this excellent page should be expanded to include the
vital details from the various tools docs - it is tiresome to have to keep
jumping out to each tools docs and trying to find some detail. And a 'check
that this tool is working OK' step for every tool will be very helpful. And
perhaps an overall check on all the tools.

I also think that for many purposes, pdf format is more useful (you can use
Find in the *whole* document, not just one 'page' - especially if it has an
*index*. John Maddock has produced some very promising looking prototypes
for the math toolkit which may need this long felt need - watch his space.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse