Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] UUID library (mini-)review starts today, November 23rd
From: Michael Marcin (mike.marcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-01 17:08:21

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what is required but perhaps the newly sandboxed Chrono
>>> library can help here?
>> I will take a look at Chrono, it may help. The time-based construction
>> ideally requires a MAC address, and I don't know how to get it
>> portably.
>
> Why not leaving the burden of retrieving the MAC address to the user, then?

Because portably retrieve a good MAC address is hard and I don't want to
have to implement that logic.

My laziness aside it probably is reasonable to say this is outside of
the scope this library. Perhaps another utility library to obtain the
mac address can be authored by one of the people requesting this
feature? They are probably going to have to implement that code to use
it anyways.

--
Michael Marcin