Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Add Loki Library's SafeFormat to Boost:
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-01 23:24:29

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Joel de Guzman wrote:
>> Robert Ramey wrote:
>>> I wish you guys could appreciate how all this name changing makes
>>> things much more difficult for us poor library users.
>>>
>>> The fact that names are in no way descriptive is another huge time
>>> waster.
>> Just curious. How much time did you waste before you realize
>> that Boost.Spirit was a parser? Can you explain why it is a
>> "huge time waster"? IMO, it takes a second to know, while
>> browsing http://www.boost.org/doc/libs, that Spirit is a parser.
>
> Here are examples where time has been wasted.
>
> All of a sudden, one some platform the serialization library fails
> to build. After a time, an investigation reveals that the
> #include <boost/spiritsomefile>
> get redirected in some baroque non-obvious way to
> something like boost/spirit/class.. or something like that.
> OK - I'll just tweak the library so that it includes the "classic"
> targets directly.

This should not happen. We engineered the code to be 100%
backward compatible. You do not even have to tweak the include
paths. At most, you'll get a warning, but that warning should not
kick in until Boost 1.38.

Please post a minimal cpp file that exhibits the problem.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com