Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] Version 3 request for comments
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-02 12:54:33

John Maddock:
>>> See
>>> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/filesystem-v3/libs/filesystem/doc/v3_design.html
>>> for a fuller description of the prototype and links to the prototype
>>> implementation.
>>
>> locale( "" ) is not correct on Mac OS X, where the API always takes UTF-8
>> char* and the filesystem uses wchar_t internally (AFAIK).
>
> This is irrelevant from a practical point of view, but the standard
> requires that "" be recognised as a valid locale:

"" is a valid locale, but it is not correct to use it for path conversions.
Paths on Mac OS X are always UTF-8 (when viewed through the POSIX API).
(They are also normalized in a variation of form D, but this can probably be
ignored for our purposes.)

Disclaimer: this is what I read in Apple's docs. I have never used Mac OS X
myself. :-)