Subject: Re: [boost] RE [filesystem][cygwin] Standard conformance for wide characters
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-05 13:54:18

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 8:35 AM, <frederic.bron_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> I've decided not to attempt support for Cygwin in the next version of
>> Boost.Filesystem.
>
> I have posted your comments on the cygwin mailing list and post the answer below.

Ha! You must have more charm that I do; there was no reply when I
asked a similar question on both that and the cygwin apps list. Good
work!

> It says that cygwin is not using the GNU C library but newlib which does not have the full set of wide character
> functions.
> Any idea how to help newlib get the missing functions?
>
>> Cygwin is using the wide char functions provided by newlib. Newlib
>> (http://sources.redhat.com/newlib/) is still lacking a couple of
>> wide char functions so far, namely:
>>
>> fwprintf
>> fwscanf
>> swprintf
>> swscanf
>> vfwprintf
>> vswprintf
>> vwprintf
>> wprintf
>> wscanf
>> wcstod
>> wcstof
>> wcstold
>> wcsftime
>> wcstok
>>
>> wcstok has been contributed but isn't checked in so far. As for all
>> the other functions, contributions to newlib are always welcome on the
>> newlib mailing list.

The list of functions and what mailing list to work with are exactly
what I wanted to find out.

That list of functions just isn't that scary, particularly since the
narrow version of the same set of functions would be available to use
as a guideline.

I'll post something on the newlib list to try to get a bit of
direction from them, but my current plan is to twist people's arms to
get that set of functions contributed to newlib, and on into cygwin.

--Beman