Subject: Re: [boost] [1.38.0] branches/release frozen
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-07 09:21:00

Daniel James wrote:
> 2009/2/7 Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>:
>> As a side note, some projects out there employ dual change list. The one
>> that goes into the News page enlists only major changes and a link to the
>> second one with more detailed description. The latter one is often compiled
>> from particular tickets that were solved in this release.
>>
>> I'm not suggesting to do the same in this release, but this looks like a
>> good practice to follow in future to me.
>
> It's a good idea, but we don't tend to create tickets for every issue.
> So this couldn't be done automatically from the tickets at the moment.

Yes, I agree. However, the list of tickets might go as a part of this
list. Some libraries maintain their own change logs, and not every entry
in these logs deserve to be mentioned on the News page. The detailed
change log might accumulate the library-specific change logs in some
way, and maybe this can be automated. The rest can be provided by hand,
if needed.

> We also have a culture of being very flexible about how libraries are
> maintained, these things are largely up to the library maintainers.
> Understandably, this often frustrates users who'd like a bit more
> consistency.

Well, if the maintainer doesn't document the changes he makes, there's
little can be done anyway, isn't it?