Subject: Re: [boost] [lexical_cast] A suggestion
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-08 12:52:19

on Mon Feb 02 2009, Alexander Nasonov <alnsn-AT-yandex.ru> wrote:

> Vladimir Batov <batov <at> people.net.au> writes:
>
>> With no volunteeres coming forward , I am considering extending the
>> lexical_cast interface as described below. Is there any chance of that
>> change integrated?
>
> I'm againt this change. See my other messages in this thread for details.

I am too. Vladimir, I believe the functionality you want is badly
needed, but it shouldn't be part of lexical_cast. lexical_cast is
conceptually simple and should remain that way. The proper interface
for the functionality you seek should be considered without reference to
lexical_cast.

In fact, if we put together all the badly needed functionality that
overlaps with lexical_cast, and give it appropriate interfaces, I'm not
entirely convinced that there would be much use for lexical_cast
anymore.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing